Commission for Informational Reliability and Misinformation Combat in the Digital Environment (CIDAD)
CIDAD is an outreach program of the Federal University of Santa Catarina Libraries System (BU/UFSC) that promotes actions and studies about ethical and epistemological foundations for the production, dissemination and access to reliable information.
CIDAD started as a library working committee in 2018 and since 2020 it became an outreach program.
Among the explored topics are fake news, post-truth, fact-checking, information literacy, media literacy, reflective thinking and critical reading.
Field of work:
- means of verifying information sources;
- strategies to combat misinformation;
- ethical practices for sharing and creating information;
- ways of improving reading, especially in the digital environment.
To plan, execute and institutionalize research, actions and services on informational reliability and misinformation combat, inside UFSC’s Library, in the form of:
- Conducting research, lectures and training inside the library;
- Producing teaching materials, papers, articles, e-books;
- Organizing exhibitions, live streamings and meetings;
- Developing outreach actions for the community;
- Expanding the services of the UFSC Libraries System.
Summary of activities done so far:
- Editions of “Critical Reading Workshop”;
- “Informational Reliability Criteria: How to Identify Misinformation” classes;
- “Critical Reading in Contemporary Times” e-book;
- IFLA’s infographic “How To Spot Fake News” bookmark adaptation;
- “Information reliability: criteria to identify misinformation in the digital environment” and others scientific and academic papers;
- Live streaming discussions about specific topics on the Library YouTube channel.
CIDAD reached out more than 400 people through face-to-face activities among students, librarians, educators and other professionals and citizens – and over 1.000 views online pandemic activities. Besides, we have already published almost 500 pages of written material.
Currently, our team consists of a group of three librarians and three university professors that research and teach in Information Science, Philosophy and Education areas:
Msc. Leonardo Ripoll (Coordinator/Librarian – BU/UFSC)
Dr José Claudio Morelli Matos (Researcher/Professor – UDESC, PGCIN/UFSC)
Dr. Wesley Felipe de Oliveira (Researcher/Professor – PNPD/UEL)
Clarissa Kellermann (Librarian – BU/UFSC)
Msc. Maria Bernardete Alves (Librarian – BU/UFSC)
Dr. Suely Ribeiro Figueiredo (Researcher/Professor – UFT)